I just want my apartment to work for me - I have chaotic days where I just dump things the first place I find free space, usually because they don't have a home, and I can only guess that this year will just become increasingly stressful and crazy until I submit the thesis. So, while the whole New Year thing is only just starting to wear off, I think it's a great time to get my place sorted. Let's see what the problems are...
Activity 1: Make a List of ProjectsI thought I only had decluttering to do, but as I moved through my apartment from start to end I also came across some problems that really annoy me at times!
- no real space to put my bike: I'm always moving it between the hallway and the laundry
- have some of my bike gear in the laundry
- missing one of my laundry baskets: I have four in total, one is being used as a laundry basket, one is being used as a temporary decluttering store from my desk clean up and the final one is a temporary decluttering store from my closet
- hallway is long and narrow: no real storage space until I get to the living room (about 5m from the entrance), but laundry is right next door to entrance (and so things get dumped there...)
- the "home office" is here, but I find the desk too small: I originally purchased this when I shared an apartment and so tried to keep everything in my bedroom. Once I moved to my current place, I expanded the desk with drawers and a return, but the main problem is that my legs don't fit under the desk due to a shelf!
- my bookshelf is cluttered: I try to keep some of my cycling and running gear on this, but I'm always fighting for space and can't take the "grab and go" approach to my gear that I would like
- TV stand is messy: I think it just needs a good tidy
- printer/phone cabinet: this is cluttered and sometimes causes my modem or phone to fall behind the cabinet! This is also the first surface I have access to when I make it through the hallway, so I also use it as a dumping ground for mail, catalogues, keys, mobile phone or whatever else is in my hands
- no space for my kit bags: the bag with my swim gear, the bag with my gym gear, the bag with my running gear... it's just a pile on the floor! The Shame!
- my bed: a completely cluttered and disorganised headboard, and the deep drawers under the bed need some serious attention - I think they have become a bit of a dumping ground!
- my closet: so much stuff in here, and I know that I haven't been using everything that's in there
- the set of drawers: like the closet, I need to make an assessment of what should actually be in there, and the surface needs a declutter
Bathroom and Linen Cupboard
- the mirrored cabinet needs organisation: I recently removed all the make-up (except what fits into a see-through purse) but haven't really organised the essentials into any order, so I'm still searching for things when the time comes to use them!
- the space under the sink: I suspect I'm not the only one who forgets that there are things down there!
- the linen cupboard is generally neat, but the top shelf has become a dumping ground!
I already had this in place due to the desk clean-up. I actually have more than just an outbox:
Activity 2: Set up the Outbox
- I have an outbox for stuff that I'm not sure if I want
- I have a box for stuff I know I want to keep long-term, but don't need right now
- I have a box for stuff I know I don't want but either needs shredding or is good enough to pass on to charity.
Activity 3: Buy Flowers and Clean FloorsI enjoy vacuuming - I find the room smells better, and my allergies become less of a problem (I'm allergic to dustmites). But I hate mopping. Hate it, hate it, hate it! It's partly because my mop is too short for me (but I don't have that much mopping to justify the purchase of a new mop with a longer handle), partly because I hate that my floors that need mopping aren't connected, and partly because I use a normal bucket without a strainer (I use the bucket handle to strain the mop)!
|I love yellow roses, but wished I had taken this photo when they were fresh!|